Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting My Feet Wet

The waves crashed in one by one, and each made a unique noise and had a different presence. As each wave crashed on the shoreline, I found myself taking a step closer for a look at this foreign piece of Mother Nature.
This was the first time I had seen the ocean and the first family vacation that I can remember.
I was 12, and couldn’t wait to get my feet wet, both literally and figuratively.
If I could just get one chance to explore, and mom and dad to turn their backs and shop in that store, I thought, I’ll jump in.
Every spring break from kindergarten until senior year of high school, I would beg my parents to take our family on vacation. Instead, I found myself turning a mud pit into a pretend concrete manufacturing plant with my younger brother, or starting my own taxicab service throughout the land of our ranch, with imaginary friends from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment